Ideally, your relationship with your gynecologist includes open lines of communication. If you share your desire to get pregnant, they’ll be able to help you prepare for pregnancy through good gynecological health. In fact, you can even opt for preconception counseling with an OB/GYN – who may be your current doctor or one affiliated with your gynecologist – to get additional help and information.
What is preconception counseling?
Preconception counseling with an experienced OB/GYN is a consultation where you and your provider discuss your pregnancy wishes and your medical history. Together, you’ll create a plan for:
- Screening for pre-existing genetic traits
- Optimizing your diet for your healthiest pregnancy BMI
- Determining peak fertility times during your menstrual cycle
- Receiving recommended immunizations prior to your pregnancy
What are the benefits of telling my gynecologist I want to get pregnant?
Partnering with your women’s health provider during preconception counseling and completing the four aspects of this process can provide three important benefits for your pregnancy:
- Ensuring your baby will not have a screenable genetic disease and making an informed choice about conception when there are risks present
- Staying healthy and preparing for the physical aspects of pregnancy
- Learning which days you’ll have the best chances of conceiving a baby through sexual intercourse
Armed with knowledge, you’re more likely to conceive a healthy baby sooner, and you’re much more likely to have a smooth pregnancy and delivery. Additionally, if any risks are discovered during preconception counseling, your OB/GYN will be able to refer you to a provider or service that can assist you with your desire to start a family. If you’re wondering whether or not to talk to your doctor about your pregnancy goals, remember that doing so offers a wealth of advantages for a mother-to-be.
Contact Pacific Gynecology and Obstetrics Medical Group for an appointment with one of our women’s health specialists.