Also known as Abnormal Uterine Bleeding (AUB) or Menorrhagia, heavy menstrual bleeding is a very common issue that pre-menopausal women experience. If you find that a heavy period is disrupting your daily routine – such as preventing you from attending classes or work, this level of menstrual bleeding is not normal, and shouldn’t be ignored or “put up with”.
Some symptoms of heavy menstrual bleeding include:
- Periods that last longer than seven days
- Large blood clots in your flow
- A need for double/heavier protection
- Needing to change protection in the middle of the night
- Restricting activities (class, work, exercise…)
- Symptoms of anemia (fatigue, dizziness, shortness of breath…)
If you experience any of these issues during menstruation, please contact your PGOMG specialist. Your specialist will be able to diagnose heavy menstrual bleeding and recommend a treatment or procedure. Options for the treatment of heavy menstrual bleeding at PGOMG include:
- Birth control – Birth control can help to regulate your monthly cycle and help to reduce bleeding
- Endometrial ablation – Eradicates the lining of the uterus, which results in little to no menstrual flow
- Hysterectomy – Removal of the uterus and cervix
These options range in level of invasiveness and long-term effects, so it is important to make an appointment with your PGOMG specialist to discuss your heavy menstrual bleeding, your lifestyle, and if you have any future plans for a pregnancy.
Remember, you don’t have to suffer through a heavy period month after month. There are options at PGOMG that will raise your quality of life during menstruation. Make an appointment with your specialist today. You can call our office at (415) 923 – 3123, or contact us online.